Please join us in welcoming Christina Becker as the new Library Director! A life-long resident of Cambridge, Christina graduated from Cambridge Central School in 2004. She recently graduated on the President’s List at Hudson Valley Community College and is continuing her pursuit of a Master’s Degree in Library Science. Christina shared, “The Cambridge community has always been important to my family and I. It is thrilling for me to be given this opportunity to give back and serve this community to the very best of my capabilities.” Please stop by the library Monday through Saturday and say hello to our new Library Director.
Job Description – Library Director
The Library Director serves as the Chief Executive Office of the library, and is responsible for the administration of all library functions in keeping with the goals, guidelines and policies of the Library Board of Trustees. This responsibility includes the organization and dissemination of information and services through the effective utilization of library resources. The Director is also responsible for the facilities, financial management and personnel of the library, under the governance and oversight of the Library Board of Trustees and the Board of the Village of Cambridge.
The Director is expected to fill a leadership role within the library and the community and will serve as the official representative of the library.
Minimum Qualifications: Four years of college study
Term of Employment: This is a 25.5 hour per week position.
Desired Qualifications: Library work experience; experience coordinating with local organizations to develop community programs; computer skills including accessing circulation records and maintaining library website and developing library presence on social media; management experience
- Make policy recommendations to Board of Trustees
- Implement policies and procedures
- Work with Library Board to develop an annual budget
- Work with Board Treasurer and Village Treasurer to monitor expenditures
- Provide orientation and support to new Trustees and employees
- Manage employees, coordinate their schedules, provide leadership and encouragement of staff development
- Oversee the maintenance of the library building and grounds and recommend future space needs and reorganization of library areas
- Maintain a staff manual of library procedures
- Plan and implement programs for the community
- Utilize services provided to the library by Southern Adirondack Library System (SALS)
- Attend all Board of Trustee meetings, and ensure Trustees are aware of SALS and other communications in a timely fashion
- Develop and maintain library website, kiosk, and appropriate social media
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the library collection and order materials (books,periodicals, digital media etc.) to support community needs
- Provide service to library patrons, build relationships, and provide a library environment that is aligned with board policies and directives
- Maintain liaison with the Village of Cambridge Board of Trustees
For further information about this position, please contact Board President Sue Sawyer at (518) 677-2636 (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Board Treasurer Robert Odess at (518) 677-3982 (email@example.com).